life, as i know it, in japan

born and bred in beautiful marshalltown, iowa. now i spend my days assisting japanese english teachers and drinking green tea. i do other things too--see below.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

things that make me laugh inside my head here: (in no particular order)

1) The 3rd grade student who is the Japanese version of Beavis from "Beavis and Butthead"--he's got the flared nostrils, the puffy hair, everything. i keep expecting him to break out in a "hea, hea, hot chicks, hea, hea." but that would be impossible--i don't teach them that kind of stuff.

2) That crazy lady with the crazy hair at elementary school.

3) When I have no idea what a person is saying, but i nod my head and say an affirmative "yes" in Japanese.

4) When the graduation song is "Halleluiah" from Handel's Messiah. especially when you know that in Japan they pass everyone in junior high school.

5) Emails from friends--actually they make me laugh out loud sometimes.

6) The fact that I get road-rage from riding a bike here. (be you a car, truck, walker, biker, or dog kindly get out of my way. and that includes you street lights too.)

7) When I realize how little my work load is as a "teacher."

8) When students write things like "My dream is to bird" or "My favorite English word is vacuum." actually that last one is great English, and vacuum is a fun word.

9) At elementary school when I neatly took apart my milk carton after lunch and the 1st graders clapped for me. for real, they did, in all three classes.

10) When I didn't know what state Battle Creek (it's Takasaki's sister city) was in and I asked my principal. Michigan is the answer. The Japanese know more about U.S. geography than I do.

so now i ask, what makes you guys laugh inside your head? or way outside your head?

4 Comments:

  • At 2:35 PM, Blogger Izzy said…

    good post babe.
    i laugh for all of the above except for #7. you must not be looking to help these students, honey. you better step it up a notch.

    the working man,
    isaac

     
  • At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Like ia, I laughed at all of yours. I also laughed the other day when I remembered how you slobbered milk shake after having your wisdom teeth pulled!

     
  • At 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You don't know me, but my mom is Vicki Larson, aka Delia Loretta Vick Larson. Anyway, I teach 9th and 10th graders in St. Paul English, and believe it or not I get sentences very similar to: My dream is to bird. You may think I'm kidding, but I'm not. I recently found an old note from highschool where a friend told me that I was "so going to fail the Animal Farm test!" This is humorous since I taught Animal Farm this year very earnestly to my 10th graders and frankly, I forgot that I had even read Animal Farm in high school until I found that note. Maybe I didn't. This kind of puts everything into perspective for me! Your blog is cool.

     
  • At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    things that make me laugh inside my head: high fiving the malt o meal sign. i keep trying. i am getting no closer.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home