life, as i know it, in japan

born and bred in beautiful marshalltown, iowa. now i spend my days assisting japanese english teachers and drinking green tea. i do other things too--see below.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

bon appetit

for the past month the librarian at my school, ms. tomioka, (who i really like...we eat lunch together everyday and i've met her family and been to her house for dinner), has made yogurt from the leftover school lunch milk cartons. everyday she gets her homemade yogurt tray ready and distributes it to the poor teachers (of which i am one). at first i gladly welcomed the gyunu and its slightly odd texture, but now i loathe it with all my being. the 'odd texture' is none other than that of snot. and the sour taste and smell are enough to put my off to my lunch. and yet, everyday, there she is bringing it to my desk with her hopeful eyes and her proud smile urging me, once again, to partake of her 'delicious' creation. i sit there with it on my desk looking around the room with pleading eyes for any semblance of fear in the other teachers. i find none. they are happily slurping up the yogurt and i am alone in my suffering.
bon appetit, or rather itadakimasu.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:25 PM, Blogger Izzy said…

    i love yogurt, but for some reason yogurt made from old gyuunyuu really grosses me out. most likely due to the snot comment. yuck.

     
  • At 2:26 PM, Blogger court said…

    this makes me a little ill. goozie.

     
  • At 12:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Ashlee-loved your vacations pics, the yougart is hideous. I will make you some delicious yougart when you return to M'town.Sandy

     
  • At 2:22 AM, Blogger molly g. said…

    oh ashlee, i so enjoyed your long comment on my (ne'er-updated) blog, in spite of the fact that it was so boring. psych! not really.

    are you going to marshalltown "for good"? i can't wait to be in touch with you next, whenever that may be...perhaps speaking to one another will be easier when we're not an ocean apart.

    miss you. love you. i promise to ask big d about your fabled "good times." xoxo

     

Post a Comment

<< Home