life, as i know it, in japan

born and bred in beautiful marshalltown, iowa. now i spend my days assisting japanese english teachers and drinking green tea. i do other things too--see below.

Saturday, July 28, 2007

it's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday

i have a week and a half left here in japan. i've been saying goodbye for the past month, but this week it's has gotten more real. everything is the last. i was joking with my students last week about everything being my last at school..."last class, last school lunch, last ごみ(trash), last はきそうじ(time sweeping during cleaning time), etc." my last day at school was extremely great, but also very emotional. like i said in my multiple speeches these past couple of weeks, "although i am going back home, i will take many memories with me. i consider japan my second home and i will never forget all the wonderful experiences i've had living here." which is very true.

some photos from my last days at konan chugakko...

these two gals rarely came to class and did "para para" (japanese young people hand dancing) in the hallway. one day they taught me a little.


i occasionally played softball with the team after school. these are the 3rd graders. i told them to "look tough".


this is mr.sato's class, 2-5. mr.sato was taking the picture and said "any pose is ok" and this is what they came up with. nice.


this is 2-4, one of my favorite classes. they are/were awesome.


ikkui and kazuya (and me)


the 'lunch lady' nakamura-san, the head teaher horikoshi-san, and i. in the afternoons we usually chatted and joked around (mostly because we three had little or nothing to do.)


i've been slightly busy packing, but not too busy not to have fun. going swimming today, yey!

2 Comments:

  • At 12:39 PM, Blogger Izzy said…

    did you enjoy visiting ueno one last time? i wish i could be there now. so beautiful. instead, i am in the church using the internet at midnight because i can't sleep. stupid jetlag.

     
  • At 6:33 AM, Anonymous Lorraine T. said…

    Hi Ashlee,

    I think I taught at that same school when I was an AET in 1995/96. It was neat to see your pictures.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home